Zucchini and summer squash when met with the fresh herbs of thyme and basil impart a balanced sweet and savory flavor. This light and delicately seasoned soup is a cinch to make and can be enjoyed on its own or served as a starter to any meal. Be sure to finish with a high quality olive oil rich with grassy notes or avocado oil works just as well.
Makes: 6 servings
Time: 15 minutes + 2 hours chill time
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 medium shallots or 1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
2 bay leaves
3 pounds zucchini, chopped
5 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup ice
8 large basil leaves
1 medium lemon, juice of
Grassy olive or avocado oil
Cracked black pepper
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add shallots and garlic and soften for one minute.
2. Add thyme, bay leaves and zucchini. Cook for five minutes on medium heat.
3. Add vegetable stock and sea salt, turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for four minutes. Remove from heat, add ice, basil and lemon juice.
4. Transfer to a blender and in batches, purée until smooth.
5. Transfer to a large glass container to cool in refrigerator for at least one hour and up to three.
6. Serve with a 1/2 teaspoon drizzle of oil and fresh cracked pepper. Soup is also delicious enjoyed warm.