Green pancakes? You bet! Surprisingly they are gluten-free, vegan, and so delicious, the whole family will be begging for more. Made with almond butter, teff, coconut flour, and spirulina, you are getting a dose of whole grains, superfoods, and healthy fats all in a hearty breakfast that only takes 15 minutes to prepare.
Makes: Approx. 8 Cakes
Time: 15 Minutes
3/4 cup teff flour
1/8 cup potato starch
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp spirulina powder
1/4 cup almond butter
2 Tb. maple syrup
1 1/2 cups almond milk, unsweetened vanilla
1 Tb. coconut oil , melted
1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
Coconut oil for coating cooking pan
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine teff, potato starch, and coconut flour. Add baking powder, sea salt, and spirulina and stir to combine.
2. In a smaller mixing bowl, combine almond butter, maple syrup, almond milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir to blend and then add to dry ingredients.
3. The batter should be thick enough to just lightly stick to a spoon.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 teaspoons coconut oil and add 2-3 servings of 1/4 cup batter, quickly spreading into about 1/4 inch by 3 inch circles.
5. Cook until bubbles are showing and the top is slightly puffed, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the cake and cook the other side an additional 1 minutes until brown. Repeat with remaining batter and serve immediately with warm maple or blueberry syrup. You can make your own blueberry syrup by blending 1/2 cup fresh blueberries with 2 tablespoons pineapple juice, 2 teaspoons flax meal, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.